Friday, March 5, 2010

The Big Sleep (1946)

We've been working on The Big Sleep for the last two meetings of my Fiction into Film class (aka best class ever). First we watched the 1946 version with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall (it was in my Bogie and Bacall box set I got for Christmas but I hadn't watched it yet) and then on Wednesday we watched the '78 version where it's set in England, Marlowe is older and played by Robert Michum, and a very old Jimmy Stewart plays the General. Seeing James Stewart old is really weird for some reason, I guess 'cause I hadn't before, but it was like if somehow James Dean ended up getting old (like that scene is Giant) and randomly showed up in some B-moved on the ONE network and you stumbled upon it only to be shocked and somewhat disgusted. Anyway, I say all that to say that while taking notes in class I ended up writing down "Lauren Bacall's shiny jacket!!!!" That note didn't exactly relate to the response I was required to write which is one of the reasons I have a blog: to write about stuff that I can't for school.


This is the jacket in all it's glory:


It's shiny, presumably gold, has puffy shoulders, and really well fitted. I had to post the video because the pictures didn't do it justice and also the horse racing dialogue is really funny and so dirty in a 1940s movie sort of way.


Other cool stuff:
big-sleep-3-copy
Carmen's first outfit.

In Marlowe's office.


Right.


Wrong. (I mean this in a very nice, it's-great-you-had-a-long-life-but-this-is-weird sort of way).

No comments:

Post a Comment